Registration is a process for granting recognition to an Agency or an Establishment providing specific services to Ghanaians to access tertiary academic qualifications from institutions outside Ghana. An agent of an accredited foreign tertiary educational institution that facilitates access to tertiary education qualifications shall be Registered (and not accredited) when the scope and mode of its operations have been satisfactorily ascertained by NAB. An institution shall qualify for registration when the source of instruction for the programme of study is outside the shores of Ghana or outside the confines of the premises of the institution.
Tertiary institutions and/or their agencies qualified for Registration are categorized by NAB as follows:
A body in Ghana recruiting prospective students for tertiary educational institutions outside Ghana.
Local Offices of Foreign Tertiary Institutions:
An office of a foreign tertiary institution established in Ghana for the purposes of recruiting Ghanaian students for the institution in the home country; providing advisory services to prospective students in Ghana; or any such services considered to be in the primary interest of the institution for which the offices have been set up in Ghana.
A centre in Ghana for a foreign tertiary educational institution facilitating access to academic instruction for students leading to the award of certificates, diplomas and degrees. The parent institution shall be an accredited institution by a recognized authority in the home country.
A recognized body that conducts or supervises examinations of accredited programmes/courses for the award of tertiary academic and/or professional certificates.
Distance Learning Institutions:
An institution established in Ghana to facilitate access to tertiary education by distance learning.
Distance Learning is a mode of instruction in which the instructor and the student are geographically separated and therefore, normally employ means other than physical contact to adequately prepare the student for academic and/or professional qualifications.
An agent of a recognized foreign tertiary educational institution that facilitates access to tertiary education qualifications from the parent institution shall be Registered (and not accredited) when the scope and mode of its operations have been satisfactorily ascertained by the NAB. An institution shall qualify for registration when the source of instruction for the programme of study is outside the shores of Ghana or outside the confines of the premises of the institution.
- Purchase, completion and submission of Institutional Registration Questionnaire (NAB/INFO A.4).
- Payment of an appropriate fee.
- Institutional visit by the relevant NAB Committee within 30 days after receipt of an application the Board considers complete for Registration.
- Recommendation by the Committee to the Accreditation Committee within 30 days of visit.
- Decision by the Accreditation Committee at its next immediate meeting.
- Communication of decision within 14 days after decision.
- Application for review if any, within 21 days of communication.
- Review and communication of review decision within 30 days on receipt of application for review.
- Where necessary, appeal to the Minister of Education as specified in the LI within 30 days on receipt of unsatisfactory review decision by the NAB.